A Comprehensive Guide on How to Grow Cannabis Indoors
Do you want to grow cannabis? Have you been thinking of having your own plantation of weeds at home, but just don’t know how and where to start? Or maybe, you’re ready to grow weed at home but aren’t sure what equipment and tools you might need.
Just like other plants, weeds can actually be grown in more than just a single way. Those who want to have control over their crops prefer to grow weeds indoors. Now, if you are willing to do this, we are here to help.
No matter what concerns or questions you have about growing weeds indoors, we’ve got everything covered. As experienced cannabis growers, we know the struggles you are in right now, as you start with the process of growing weeds at home. For this reason, we’ve created a comprehensive guide to help you with the process successfully and effectively.
- 1 A Comprehensive Guide on How to Grow Cannabis Indoors
- 1.1 Getting Started with Growing Weeds
- 1.2 Vital Information about Marijuana
- 1.3 The Benefits of Using Cannabis
- 1.4 The Negative Effects of Marijuana
- 1.5 Marijuana Cultivation – What You Need to Know
- 1.6 Planting Mediums for Growing Marijuana
- 1.7 Grower’s Guide for Marijuana Growing
- 1.8 Important Factors to Consider In Monitoring Your Growing Plants
- 1.8.1 Humidity and Temperature Level of Female Plants at Various Growing Stages
- 1.8.2 Highly Recommended Setting of Lights Perfect for Indoor Cannabis at Various Growing Stages
- 1.8.3 Different Methods of Growing Seedlings to Become Mature and Healthy Marijuana Plants
- 1.8.4 Growing Marijuana in Soil with The Use of Germination Process
- 1.9 Selecting the Best Type of Soil
- 1.10 How to Water Your Marijuana Plants
- 1.11 Cloning Method to Grow Marijuana
- 18.104.22.168 Steps to Do Cloning Method
- 22.214.171.124 Cloning Benefits
- 126.96.36.199 Simple and Common Cloning Drawbacks
- 188.8.131.52 Process of Cloning Your Cannabis Plants
- 184.108.40.206 Steps in Growing Clones to Mature Plants
- 220.127.116.11 Ways to Prevent Wilting When Growing Clone
- 1.11.1 Hydroponics
- 1.12 Importance of Light to Marijuana Growing
- 1.13 How to Harvest Marijuana
- 1.14 How to Prepare Marijuana for Smoking
- 1.15 Afterword
- 1.16 Take Your Weed Growing Game to the Next Level
Getting Started with Growing Weeds
|Propagation Kits||Buy From Amazon|
|CLONEX CLONE SOLUTION GALLON||Buy From Amazon|
|Grodan A-Ok 1"x1" Sheet of 200 Rockwool/Stonewool Starter Cubes||Buy From Amazon|
Whether you’re just planning to plant weeds at home or you’ve already started, we bring you the most up-to-date information on how to grow cannabis efficiently. This guide contains some of the most important growing techniques and tips and tricks to help you yield great results.
The truth is, growing cannabis is not simple, but it does not have to be too difficult either. Don’t feel overwhelmed with a lot of information you can find online. This guide contains everything you need to have an effective growing, from start to finish.
Vital Information about Marijuana
If you are new about marijuana or cannabis, you have to be familiar with the common words used to refer to them. Don’t get confused when others use any of these names, as they just refer to cannabis. Among the most common names include:
Marijuana or cannabis has two main strains, such Cannabis Indica and Cannabis Sativa, which are both hemp plants.
Cannabis Sativa: A common strain of cannabis sativa is Cannabis Ruderalis, which is an industrially-grown hemp. It contains a far higher cannabidiol ratio than other weeds, which eliminates the psycho-active chemical found in cannabis. Thus, this is not ideal for smoking, but can be of paramount help for rope and other fibers.
However, it is important to note that hemp oil and seeds from such plants offer different benefits to health. Many skilled and expert growers will also often grow Ruderalis in order to breed with other strains. This will then create a variety of new hybrids.
Cannabis Indica: This strain of Cannabis is directly related to the other strain, but has a higher ration of cannabidiol to psycho-active chemical. This makes it the most common option for medical purposes. While Sativa creates a feeling of creative high, Indica gives a stoned sensation or feeling. Indica strains are also able to produce denser and shorter plants that grow easily. This makes it a more ideal strain of weeds for indoor settings.
Regardless of the strain you choose to grow, the ways to ingest them are usually the same. Often, the flowers and leaves are dried out, crushed and smoked in a cigarette form or pipe. If you don’t smoke, there are also other ways to ingest and prepare cannabis.
Growing cannabis indoor does not need to be too complicated. The process can actually be fun, especially if you are equipped with the right tool and you know what to do.
Vital Factors to Grow Wed
If you think you’re ready to start growing weed, there are a few things you must ensure to have, including:
Understanding these factors and the role each of them play in the process of growing weeds is important to become a successful grower. There must be a proper balance of each of these to have a successful grow.
But, if you’re still confused and don’t know much about these elements yet, don’t worry. We will walk you through the process as we go along.
The Positive and Negative Effects of Marijuana
While there are still some countries that prohibit the use of Marijuana until today, many other nations have recognized its health benefits, compelling them to legalize the use of weeds. Sure, marijuana can have negative effects on its user, but it also provides remarkable advantages.
Cannabinoids is the main factor that causes the various effects of marijuana. This is a chemical produced by the strain of cannabis plant in different concentrations and combinations. This family of chemicals is what gets its users high after smoking marijuana. The exact effects and potency level of weeds on the body and mind depend highly on the variety and quality, as well as on the way it’s grown, prepared and stored.
The key active ingredient of marijuana is tetrahydrocannabinol, which can be found in almost every part of the plant. However, the tips of female flowers or cannabin are specially rich with this ingredient.
The Benefits of Using Cannabis
The effects of weeds can vary from one person to another, depending heavily on what is being smoked. When used as prescribed, marijuana is known to deliver remarkable benefits, such as:
- Improved thinking process
- Encourage more positive thoughts and better ideas
- Relieves stress
- Improved mood
- Nausea and pain relief – weeds can help reduce pain, decrease nausea and stir up appetite, especially of those who are dealing with chemotherapy
- Relieves arthritis – cannabis has been found to help reduce inflammation and pain, which can help alleviate discomfort experienced by those who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis
- Improved levels of pleasure towards everything, including music, sex and others
When used properly and according to prescription, marijuana provides positive effects among users. We recommend that you discuss with a medical expert regarding the use of weeds before resorting to this treatment.
The Negative Effects of Marijuana
Although medical professionals are supportive with the use of marijuana, it can also have side effects to users. Anything that is used excessively has bad effects, and this goes the same with weeds. This is especially true with euphoric drugs. Some of the noted negative effects of the use of marijuana include:
- Dizziness and headache
- Tension and anxiety
- Psychological negative impacts
- Short term memory loss
- Vomiting or nausea
- Increased heart rate
If you or you know someone who is suffering from the diverse effects of marijuana, there are various treatment methods that can help the person find relief and an improved quality of life. Again, the effects of cannabis use depends from one person to another, so it is a smart idea to seek professional help to know your limits and the prescribed amount you need.
Different Ways to Use Marijuana
When you think of marijuana, perhaps, the first thing that comes to mind is smoking weeds. But, it is important to note that the use of marijuana is more than just smoking it. You can consume it in a variety of ways that could give you satisfaction.
Let’s take a closer look at the most common ways to use weeds:
- Pipes – special pipes are designed to make weed smoke cooler. Though the use of pipes looks pretty cool, what we mean by this is the cool temperature that pipes bring when used to smoke marijuana. According to some professionals, pipes are not the safest way to ingest marijuana, but many still prefer to use this method over the old-fashioned way of smoking it. If you are thinking of consuming weeds through pipes, you can choose from aluminum, glass or stainless steel materials to ensure cleaner hits. Just try to avoid the use of pipes that are made from plastic or wooden materials, because they may contain extra carcinogens.
- Vaping or Inhaling – this is possible with the use of vape or vaporizing/inhaling device. Vaporizing or inhaling refers to a process s which the marijuana is being heated up and its vapor is inhaled by the user. For those who are looking for a cheaper alternative to consuming marijuana, this is the best method to consider. It provides an effective way of getting high on weeds, as users can create their very own inhaler and vaporizer at home. When abused, marijuana can be addictive, and people would often crave for the taste and experience of being ‘high.’ Many weed smokers or even cigarette users are using this method to help them quit such addictive activities. Vaping or inhaling are ideal for individuals who do not otherwise smoke.
- Smoking – probably the most popular way to consume marijuana, smoking is often the most preferred method by many when using weeds. In this process, the THC is being released through burning the weed and absorbing smoke into the lungs.
According to some health enthusiasts, it is recommended for users to take light puffs instead of having heavy ones because these cause less stress on lungs. Too much smoking can also cause asthma, so users must be careful in employing this method.
- Smoking Joints, Blunts or Spliffs – this may not be the healthiest method to consume cannabis, but it is probably one of the most popular ways. Whether to use thin joint or fat joint, it is still an issue today. But, what matters really is what you prefer the most. Regardless of what you choose, if it is something suitable for you, then you’re good to go.
No matter what size, the main key point is to have the joint tightly rolled. If you want your weeds to last for a long time, you might go for tight joints, as they burn more slowly than other methods. If you want to experience a low level of high, smoking spliffs can be your ideal option. Although it gives a low high level due to fewer weeds in there, the THC high is mixed with additional nicotine buzz.Also, you will see joints that are rolled with a tobacco leaf skin. This is more like a cigar style, but it is more popular among Americans than Europeans.
- Bongs and Water Pipes – If you are looking for a more efficient and cleaner option to consume cannabis than a joint, you can consider the use of bongs and water pipes. Though it may seem quite complicated, but the process is actually very easy.
What are the benefits? Well, there will be no need to use paper, so the taste would not be affected, it is not always burning. The water and filters or percs cool and filter smoke for a cleaner and easier inhalation.
Though THC is not soluble in water, it has sometimes claimed that other THC gets filtered out using this method. The reasons behind this are probably because THC gets overly cooled or the smoke passes through many different percs or filters.
- Cannabis Used as an Ingredient – there are some who consume cannabis raw. This may or may not really get you a high, but there are many people who said that this process works for them. Others, on the other hand, believe that it does not make any sense scientifically.
However, the use of marijuana as an ingredient definitely works. It is also pretty common. Just be careful that you do not take double dose, as it can be quite dangerous for you. When directly consumed by eating, the effects of cannabis can be a bit delayed, but they will surely kick in. If you don’t want to use any equipment or tool to get high on weeds, this is an economical way to do so. This can also be less unhealthy, especially if you add this as an ingredient to any nutrient-dense food.
No matter what level of cannabis user you are, you have probably tried one or a couple of these methods. If you haven’t done so before, make sure that you check with a medical professional first for help or assistance before resorting thin option.
If you really need to consume weeds and don’t know which method to use, just weigh the benefits and drawbacks of each. If you have been a weed user and looking to switch for a new way, why don’t you try one of these? You will surely be able to find exactly what you’re looking for and the experience you seek.
Other Notable Uses of Marijuana
Now that we have identified the common uses of cannabis, it is important to note that the list does not really ends there. in addition to vaping, eating, smoking or drinking marijuana, it can also be used in many other ways, which include the following:
- Massage oils
- Topical pain killing lotions and creams
- Cannabis oil that you can make on your own
- Beauty and health products
- Medical marijuana
Cannabis has more functions and benefits than you probably think of. It isn’t used just to get high and does not even have to be used on its own. When combined with other natural herbs, ingredients and chemicals, marijuana can be extremely beneficial to users.
There’s actually some debates among some marijuana users regarding the best way to consume or use marijuana. If you are uncertain and don’t know exactly how to take full advantage of the benefits of weeds, you just have to find the right method that works for you.
There is no such thing as one-size-fits-all methods when it comes to the use of marijuana. It is all about finding the best method that works for you. It also depends on what you’re using it for.
In order to know how to use marijuana and which method to consider, you need to evaluate yourself and know what you want out of the weeds. For instance, if you are using it to relieve some pains, then you probably don’t want the method that gives high. You will need the cleanest, most discreet and the most effective method of using it. If you are gathering with friends, on the other hand, then it can be a totally different thing.
There you have it! We’ve taken you to the background of marijuana, its positive and negative effects and how should you use it. Now, it is time to get to the meat of this article – how to grow weeds successfully and effectively.
Marijuana Cultivation – What You Need to Know
This time, you will learn about the actual ways of cultivating cannabis. You can learn of the different growing methods. You can learn which method suits a beginner like you. By learning all the different growing methods of growing marijuana, then you can avoid getting poor results. On that note, here are some important things to know about cultivating cannabis.
Two Main Ways of Growing Marijuana
Generally, there are two main ways of gardening. To grow your marijuana plant, you can have it either indoor or outdoor. Each way has its own pros and cons as well as how it affects the outcome of your plants.
Planting Cannabis Indoors
Planting marijuana indoors is most common. The most downside of planting indoors is the possibility of your plant to become malnourished being in an open-air atmosphere. Fortunately, using the right techniques and methods can help you grow quality marijuana a lot easier. If you are careful with handling your plants, you can essentially quality cannabis indoors.
Perhaps the biggest advantage of indoor planting is you can control and easily manage all key conditions in the growth of your plants. You can have close control over all things that can affect the growth of your cannabis, thus you are more hands on in this method. In addition to these advantages, you also have the following benefits:
- Save your plant when in delicate growing cycles.
- Have more chance of producing weeds with the best quality.
- Have more control in all key factors of the plant’s growth including air, light, soil, temperature, humidity, water, nutrients, etc. Control means you can optimize such factors to ensure maximum growth of your plant.
- Save plant from direct and too much sunlight exposure, which may affect enzyme activity and chemical reactions, something that planting marijuana indoors can avoid.
- Have control over when and how to encourage flowering to your crop.
- Have complete control over light exposure.
- Less chance of your plants becoming infected with viruses or destroyed by insects
Most people growing marijuana agrees that indoor grown marijuana has better quality than with weeds grown in the outside. Of course, whether you grow your plants outside or inside is your choice.
Growing indoors also has its disadvantages, which are:
- Sunlight still gives the most nutrients and is more effective compared to artificial lighting.
- Photosynthesis is still at its best when done under real sunlight.
- Ventilation is one of the problems occurring in indoor planting.
- You can control lighting, humidity and temperature but still difficult to maintain properly.
- You can only grow limited crops of marijuana since you have limited space as well.
- Crops indoors differ in height with crops outdoors because of different environmental conditions.
These are the common disadvantages to consider if you choose to grow your plants inside, on artificial but more controllable environmental conditions. Think carefully and consider if you can deal with said disadvantages and if indoor planting works for you.
Planting Cannabis Outdoors
Growing marijuana outdoors is quite difficult to do. You success in growing marijuana outdoors usually lies on following strictly and thoroughly to correct instructions. Whether you choose to grow your plants indoors or outdoors is your decision. On that note, here the pros and cons that planting cannabis outdoors has to offer you.
The common advantages of growing marijuana outdoors include:
- Plants enjoy natural ventilation.
- Sunlight is free so no cost for lighting.
- Regulation and control of environmental conditions like air and temperature need not strict supervision.
- Outdoor yields are considerably higher and larger than indoor yields.
- Outdoor planting offers more returns for cannabis business.
- Yields are healthier when grown in natural environment.
If you choose outdoor planting, here are some disadvantages you will have to deal with:
- Freak conditions can ruin your crops.
- Have no control in terms of light exposure, one of the biggest influencing factors in the quality and production of weeds.
- Other people can stole or damage your crops.
- Have no privacy from prying eyes of nosy neighbors.
- Bigger chance of crops to end up damaged because of animals, pests and virus.
- Cross-pollination can happen with insects and wind, which makes controlling your crop’s strain difficult to do.
- Pollination can easily occur on female plants, which lead them producing seeds instead of buds.
Planting Mediums for Growing Marijuana
There are two main planting medium mentioned in this section: soil and hydroponics. A brief explanation of each planting medium is available below:
Soil is the traditional and most cost effective planting medium for growing marijuana crops. Soil or simply dirt is highly reliable and extremely cheap planning medium in growing any kind of plant. If you want a traditional growing and of course want to save on cost, soil is the ideal planting medium you can use for planting marijuana. If you choose soil as your medium, you can expect decent crops, start small, have lower risks of error and the cost is expensive too.
Today’s most popular and common planting medium is hydroponics. This method offers you a way to grow your plants without using soil. Instead, water provides mineral nutrients to the plants. You can choose from different types of hydroponics systems available. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages.
Though that maybe so, each of these hydroponics systems allows you to grow your plants easily, whether indoors and even out of season. The thing about hydroponics system, however, is they need constant monitoring. If there is even slightest error in its chemical solution, it could cause the ruin of your entire crop.
The advantage with hydroponics, on the other hand, is lets you grow a good amount of marijuana in only a short time. However, you need to know there are plenty of things you can do wrong in this method. Additionally, hydroponics system is not cheap. In that sense, if you want to try this medium, it would be best to learn a bit and see how things work out for you. Here is a detailed guide and reviews of the best hydroponics system.
Grower’s Guide for Marijuana Growing
This section introduces you to the systematic method of growing your first crop of cannabis. The first step in the process is of course, choosing the correct cannabis seeds. There is also another way to start, say if you choose to cut off your plant from another plant then start cloning it. However, if you are a beginner, starting from seeds is best.
- Choosing Cannabis Seed
The seed results from male and female flowers’ propagation. If both female and male flowers are healthy, then you can expect healthy, top-quality seeds produced. The kind of seed you choose is extremely important, as it will determine all features of the plant, from height to aroma. The question is how do you choose great quality seeds?
To avoid under quality seeds, make sure to avoid seeds with any damage, pale, green or soft. These kinds of seeds are either not mature or is not set for germination yet. To ensure your seeds are mature or set for germination, you should look for the signs. Good quality seeds have hard outer shell so you need to look for seeds with dark brown, hard shell.
Additionally, good seeds are teardrop-shaped, should have darker tiger stripes. They are usually in colors black, brown or tan mottling. You have so many strains of seeds to choose from but whatever you pick it is either between regular seeds or between feminized seeds. The difference is that regular seeds come in female or male plants while feminized seeds refer only to bud-producing plants.
If you choose to use feminized seeds, you have about 5% chance of getting yields that are both female and male flowers, meaning plants that self-pollinate. There is only a slight chance of it but you it would help to know. With that, you can expect that even with bud-producing plants you may still be able to get regular plants.
(You can also check out our full beginner’s guide to choosing your first seeds.)
- Germinating Cannabis Seeds
After you got your seeds, the next step to the process is germination. This refers to when a mature and healthy seed has its outer shell break down with white-colored root sprouting from it. This happens when you keep the seed in right environmental conditions. In terms of germination, you need to know that there is usually only 2 to 3 among 10 regular seeds that end up healthy female cannabis plants.
The rest usually grows as male plants or become spoils. With that, you should think carefully about how many seeds you want to germinate. The germination time averages at 2 to 7 days but the length depends greatly on the quality of seed and environmental conditions. At the end of germination process, the next thing for you to do is remove all male or spoiled sprouts.
After that, you can focus on healthier female crops. In case you have little female plants as much as you would like, you can begin germination process again. A quick tip in germination is to begin the process during hot months, as during these months is when you can expect better results. It would also help if you gave a grower mat, although this means added expense.
When your seeds germinated, it would have white-colored root-shaped sprouts growing longer and drooping. Once the sprout reaches the size of around quarter an inch then it is the perfect time for you to transfer it to a new medium. You can transfer the sprouts on a Rockwool tray or other pots you think have enough space for marijuana seedling. From there on, you can transfer it the garden or your hydroponic system.
- How to Germinate Your Cannabis Seed
In order to germinate your marijuana seed, you have different techniques you can try. The different germination techniques you can try are as the following:
Soaking is the most reliable germination technique for marijuana or any kind of seed for that matter. For the soaking method, you need only a normal cup and have it filled with warm water. Take the seed then put them inside the cup of warm water. If there are seeds that float, remove them. Next, cover the cup so that light does not pass through. Within 49 hours or so, the seeds should germinate. In some cases, sprouts can begin to appear within only 24 hours.
- Soil Germination
Other farmers choose to germinate their seeds in soil. One of the advantages of germinating in soil is that it is easy and effective. To germinate your seed in soil, you need a pot full of soil with water poured inside. Make sure the pot has hole at the bottom so the water drains out. Next, dig a bit of soil from the surface of the pot pushing a pointed tool down around quarter inch deep.
After that, get the seed and put it inside before filling the space up with soil you dug out earlier. After that, spray it water ensuring it is moist. It should remain moist until there is small sprout that begins to come out of it. For the seeds to germinate, it would need room temperature, which is about 78-degree Fahrenheit. Germination in soil takes about 5 to 7 days.
- Peat Briquettes Germination
Today’s growers choose peat briquette method as the best germination method. Following this way, you need to take a peat briquette, soak it in water until it swelled to full size. Once it swelled enough, take the seed and push it inside the hole you created inside the peat. For successful germination, make sure the temperature is hot, say in 95-degrees Fahrenheit.
Even though the temperature is hot, make sure the peat briquette remains moist until sprouts come out. Compared to other germination methods, use of peat briquettes are the most reliable and safest for effectively germination of marijuana seeds. If you want to make sure you can germinate your seeds, this is what experienced growers usually recommend to offer the best results.
- Paper Towel Method
For paper towel method, you will need two dishes and two paper towels along with some water. To germinate the seeds, you need boil water and rinse dishes with it. This ensures the dishes have no germs left on it. Once done, take the paper towels and soak them in hot water. Squeeze until the towels are damp but warm.
Take one paper towel and place on a dish. Get some seeds to put on it, cover with another paper towel and cover with the second dish. Covering the seeds is important so that no light enters the environment. Germination using this method usually takes about 2 to 5 days. One thing to remember about paper towel method is not to let the seeds on towel for a lot longer than needed.
- Propagation Kits
This method is cheap and offers great results. The use of propagation kits includes their own instructions. However, the general method is usually only about pouring your seeds inside small compartments or spots, which then added with nutrient or hormone mix. The mix includes with the kit and once you poured it inside, the process starts. If you want, you can also create your very own propagation machine and it does not really cost a lot.
Whether you choose peat briquette, soaking, soil or propagating kits, any of these methods are great for germination. You need simply to choose the one that match your preference the best.
After successfully germinating the seeds and getting about quarter inch sprout, time to take it and replant inside a pot. This is where the sprout will grow until it becomes a seedling. Marijuana seedlings refer to small plant with a pair of leaves called cotyledon or seedling leaf. The cotyledon stores food to ensure the plant is healthy.
When real leaves come, the seedling leaf become paler then yellow until it drops down. A marijuana plant’s real leaves usually have 3 lamina. During this stage, you need to take good care of the seedling. Don’t water it too much and pay a lot of attention on the sunlight it gets. Plant growth is usually slow at this stage so don’t worry too much. Don’t over fertilize or over water with about 16 hours of light at 15% red, 30% white and 30% blue ratio.
- Transplanting Cannabis Seedlings
The transplanting process is when you take the seedling and replant it into your garden or maybe hydroponics system. Upon transplanting, your seedlings will really start to grow to produce high quality weeds. In transplanting step, you need simply to dig into the soil for a hole where you will put the seedling. If you want, you can even drop the seedling along with Rockwool tube you used before. It will not have any effect on the plant’s growth and not removing it will lessen the chances of damaging the seedling’s roots.
Important Factors to Consider In Monitoring Your Growing Plants
After seeing your plants grow and become even stronger, you need to be very careful with some other things.
First, always keep an eye on nutrient excess or deficiency. These things can both provide the same symptoms. However, try to observe the lightening and yellowing of mature and older leaves, discoloration and spots.
The third up to the fifth week of the plant is a perfect time to recognize and determine if they are growing healthy or not. If their color turns out to be perfectly green, branches are dense and strong and almost everything appears fine, well you should be happy and satisfied. This only means to say that your plants are growing at the right and healthy way.
There are also instances wherein the stem of the plants appear in purple color during their early days. Well, there is nothing to worry about concerning this matter since it is a normal condition. It only happens due to the genetics of the plants.
Low level of nitrogen is perfect for your female plants while high level of nitrogen nourishes male plants. Too low nitrogen level can cause yellowing and lightening of the leaves of the plants. Moreover, you also need to keep the level of potassium low. This is just to encourage female plants growth and even the male plants. Too low potassium level may burn out the edge and tips of the leaves which results to yellow leaves.
(Read our guide and reviews of nutrients and fertilizers for more information).
General nutrient excess or nutrient burn is recognize by the brown or yellow tips of the leaves of the plant. If the nutrient level is not reduced, you may see that the discoloration will travel further to some other leaves. This may lead to brittle and curl leaves tip.
However, these are signs that you need not to worry about. As your plants grow, they can acquire more of the nutrients they need. The soil where they are planted today maybe too nutritious for them, but when they grow old, this soil may become ideal for their needs.
Keep control of the humidity over the temperature if you want to grow indoor plants. High level humidity can help in improving the rate of the female plants growth while low level humidity is perfect for male plants growth. The same thing goes with the temperature; low level of temperature is beneficial for female plants growth and high temperature is perfect for male plants.
Humidity and Temperature Level of Female Plants at Various Growing Stages
The humidity and temperature level for female plants differs as they grow. To give you an idea on what this concern is about, consider the following humidity and temperature level of female plants at various growing stages.
Here is a detailed guide on how to keep control of the temperature and humidity. https://theweedprof.com/temp-humidity-controllers-cannabis/
- Seedlings: 20-25 degree Celsius when lights are on, 4-5 degree low when the lights are off; and 60-70% of humidity.
- Vegetative: Vegetative plants highlight 22-28 degree Celsius of temperature with 40-70% of humidity level.
- Flowering: As far as flowering plants are concerned, their temperature ranges from 20-26 degree Celsius with below 55% of humidity level.
- Late Flowering: These plants highlight 18-24 degree Celsius when lights are on and 5-10 degree low when the lights are off. Its humidity level is about 30-40%.
Highly Recommended Setting of Lights Perfect for Indoor Cannabis at Various Growing Stages
When it comes to the light setting of indoor cannabis, the blue spectrum of light improve the rate of the female plants growth. This results to a healthy, large and strong leaves of cannabis. On the other hand, the red spectrum of lights are beneficial when the plants enter the flowering stage.
- Seedlings: 15% of red, 30% of blue and 30% of white – once the seedling had already leaves and it had been already above the ground for a week, it will turn into 30/60/60.
- Vegetative: The light setting of vegetative plans depends on what particular type of plant it is. It may range from 30/60/60, 60/100/100 or even 45/80/80.
- Flowering: Flowering plants light setting ranges from 100/100/100.
- Late Flowering: Late flowering plants light setting ranges from 100/70/100.
Different Methods of Growing Seedlings to Become Mature and Healthy Marijuana Plants
Do you want to grow your seedlings into healthy mature marijuana plants? If yes, then there are important things for you to know if you really want to become a perfectionist grower of marijuana. It will depend on what medium or method you are going to select to grow indoor marijuana.
Here are the lists of some of the best method you may consider and they are as follows:
Growing Marijuana in Soil with The Use of Germination Process
Growing marijuana in soil is one of the most effective methods for novice growers. It is the most fruitful, reliable and cost-effective method you should try.
Growing in Container
If you are not interested to turn cannabis growing into a business, try to consider growing cannabis in containers. For beginners, this type of method is very simple to handle which give you less chance of failing.
Growing cannabis in containers gives you an opportunity to take a closer look at the plant every now and then individually. This lets you identify poor or weak quality plants as soon as possible. Container where you can put your marijuana plant ranges from pot, wooden box, small bucket and all other types of boxes. All you have to do is to create some small holes just to drain out some excess water to let the air get into its roots.
Be sure that the containers color is dark or ideally, black since it is helpful in assuring light will not penetrate its roots. You can even begin using small containers since these are easy and simple to handle. However, be aware of the fact that as your plants grow, you need to shift your plants from their small container to large ones.
Making Your Own Containers
If you do not have the ability to buy your own container, you can prepare one with the use of rejected and old pots or even broad bowls and bottles. You need to clean first these containers and let it appear to be at its perfect sized with holes. The holes need to be big enough to completely drain excess water. Ideally, containers need to let the light in.
Growing in Ground
If you grow marijuana inside your house, you may not find the most suitable space where you can let it fully grow. The ground outside can help you grow marijuana plant since it provides abundant sunlight. If this method is available for you, then it is worth the try.
In this method, you need to be very careful when it comes to spacing of your marijuana plants. Try to give suitable but uniform type of space in between each of your plants. This may range from about three to four feet to maximize productivity.
Selecting the Best Type of Soil
If you want to grow cannabis, you need to be precise when it comes to the type of soil that you are going to use. Be sure that the soil is drainable yet will never drain the entire water on it. It should have the capability to retain even adequate amount of water in the soil.
There are three important factors to consider in selecting the best kind of soil for your marijuana plant. This includes PH level, texture and nutrients of the soil.
Cannabis Plant Transplantation Method
Transplanting your cannabis plant is a manifestation of converting your plants from small containers into bigger ones. This is only one way of shifting marijuana plants from a container to the ground. This method is very simple but not as easy as you think. You have to take the marijuana plant out of their container cautiously, along with its soil and roots. Dig a next home for this plant at the center and place it in a hole.
However, this method can cause damage to the roots of the plants and stress to its parts. This is the reason why you need to take some time to settle down.
Important Nutrients Needed By Your Growing Cannabis Plants
Do you want to effectively grow your own cannabis at home? If yes, then below are some of the most important nutrients that they need to grow well:
It is the most important element that helps cannabis steam and leaf grow. Too low nitrogen level may turn the leaves of the plants into color yellow. So, make use of adequate amount of nitrogen into your cannabis plants particularly during the vegetation process. This is just to assure that your plants will be growing at its finest.
Phosphorus also plays an essential role in the respiration and photosynthesis process of your cannabis plants. It is highly recommended that cannabis grower need to make use of more phosphorus than nitrogen especially during the flowering process.
Potassium is also necessary for transferring and building adequate amount of sugar into your marijuana plants. It is also an essential element for absorbing nutrients and water and even in aiding rapid plants growth.Detailed list of Nutrients Needed for Growing
How to Water Your Marijuana Plants
Watering your marijuana plants depends on the containers size as well as intensity of light. HID lights because of the high-level heat can affect the plants water level. You need to water your own marijuana or cannabis crop alternately every other days. Marijuana plants root need air along with water. Dryness is healthy for this kind of plant but too much of it may let them suffer dehydration.
You need to water your plants until more than about twenty percent of the water is already drain out through its holes. Then, empty runoff trays rather than letting your container sit into the water.
Checking Marijuana Plants PH Level
Marijuana plants PH level needs careful monitoring. 6.7 up to 6.2 PH level is the perfect condition to let your marijuana plant survive. If you will not pay close attention to the PH level of your marijuana plant, expect that your whole crop will be devastated.
Overfeeding your plant with some organic compounds and fertilizers can also cause some disturbances to the PH level of your marijuana plant. Hence, be sure that you are going to make some thorough research before trying to use any fertilizer. It is highly recommended to make use of common manure type of fertilizers. You do not need to look for those super-extraordinary and expensive ultra-nutrient since natural fertilizers are enough to work and contribute for better plant growth.
Cloning Method to Grow Marijuana
Another smart method to grow marijuana plants is cloning. This is a widely used method by most marijuana growers indoors and even farmers.
Steps to Do Cloning Method
Do you know how to clone marijuana plants? In cloning, you need to select from donor plants and make some cuttings. Grow cuttings from various mediums. In short, you are creating some mini-copies of original plants.
One of the best benefit about cloning is that each of the clones you will have turns out into female plant. However, there are also some drawbacks about this method. Nevertheless, if you already have productive and healthy marijuana plants, it is already an effective way to grow more.
You can just easily and simply choose from donor plants from your existing plants and create clones from them.
There are immense benefits that cloning offers and here are some of them:
- It is an effective and time saving process. This is because; you only need to choose some plants, create clones and put them at their suitable growing medium.
- It helps you save huge amount of money since you do not to buy more and more seeds anymore.
- Your marijuana plants are surely female plants.
- They always grow quicker when compared to seedlings. This is because they the plants where they are taken are mature enough.
- Rooted marijuana clones take few times to flower.
- Growing huge amount of marijuana is an easy process as the clones take less time to grow.
- Characteristic of the final marijuana product is better in effects, aroma and taste at all times.
Simple and Common Cloning Drawbacks
Despite of the benefits that cloning offers, there are also some drawbacks concerning this method and some of these are as follows:
- Because of genetic uniformity, there could always be great chance for the plants to succumb to diseases and pests.
- You will have less option with cloning method. If you will push through seed process, you can always have the chance to grow something different at all times – try various aromas, effects and taste.
- Cloning is reliable and workable if the cuttings of the plants came from existing marijuana plant that grows well. Hence, finding them from other kind of source and be able to get result is not as guaranteed.
- If you select poor marijuana plants to clone, you will be stuck from different flaws.
- They immediately die due to shock when something mishandling happen. Hence, it is highly recommended for you to take some more clones that you need.
- Clones are very delicate. This only means that they are not as easy and simple for you to handle.
- All clones that came from marijuana plants will become female. This may lead to a big problem especially when it comes to breeding.
Process of Cloning Your Cannabis Plants
If you want to clone cannabis plants, then here are the lists of some of the steps you need to consider and these include the following:
- The initial and most significant thing to do is to select your mother plant. Remember that your future product will depend on the mother plant. Hence, choose the most productive, healthiest as well as disease free type of mother plant.
- You also need to cut for about fifty percent clones than the quantity of plants that you need. The entire clones that you are going to get will not be as healthy as what you expect. There are instances that some of them die due to shock.
- You can do the cutting of clones anytime you want during the cycle of the plants. However, the most suitable time to do is before flowering of plants.
- Your hands should be wash using good type of antibacterial soap. Apart from that, the growing medium/area and tools needs to be clean.
- For quick planting, PH balanced medium needs to be prepared ahead of time.
- Keep all clones close to you or within your reach. This is just to assure that when you need them, you can easily wilt it immediately.
How to Take a Cutting
If you wanted to ensure good results on this pursuit, you need to follow these ways:
- Choose the right clones and plants that are actively growing with 2 or 3 nodes or branches only and also with fan leaves. These pertain to mature plants with alternating leaves instead of facing ones.
- You then need to cut a lower node or you can consider cutting two at the stem.
- Treat the clone in rooting solution fungicidal B1 mix. You have to make sure that the lowest node is thinly covered at least.
- Then, you will need to fix this clone in the rockwool cube.
- Don’t forget to prep the rockwool cube by means of soaking them overnight in pH-balanced solutions.
- You must clip larger leaves in half in order to make sure that clone concentrates on creating roots.
Steps in Growing Clones to Mature Plants
Growing clones to mature plants require completely different steps that you need to follow. These steps are highlighted below:
- Lighting and dome are the next steps. You need to spray within propagator or humidity dome using no-damp solution. Don’t spray the clone directly for this might result to powdery mildew.
- Place covered clone tray with a humidity dome in a spot where there is enough amount of white florescent light readily available. This can actually be T9 grow lights or natural sunlight if you are careful.
- Humidity dome needs to be removed from the clone tray on the fifth day however, you need to remember that you also need to lift lid every day for some air exchange.
- Watering needs to be done every other day and once the dome has finally been removed, watering should be done once a day.
- Now, you need to check and determine if the plant is rooted or not. When checking, you are advised to tug it towards upward side lightly. If the plant is rooted already, then it won’t come out of the tube. If not, expect this to easily come out. Note that you’re not really supposed to do this thing until the fifth day. Remember that rooting usually takes about five to ten days.
- If you notice some leaves that start to turn into yellow at this early phase, don’t feel bothered since this is actually a good sign. This happens because during the rooting process, plant actually consumes the entire nutrients from the fan leaves. Add some weak nutrients at this phase.
- Until the time that the plant is in the rooting phase, you will need to spray this with water and once you have notice signs that the plant is being rooted, you need to water this properly.
- You also need to drain some rooting solution out from cube since it’s now of no use.
- At this most critical part, you’re supposed to check if the plant is witting or not. You can also check by means of opening grow tent a bit. If there’s no witting for 4-6 hours then this means that you are set to move ahead.
- Now, you will need to put these clones under LED lights or HID; or you can just plant the clones in soil outdoor.
- Ensure that they get 15-18 hours of sufficient lighting. This plant need this much light in order to get into the vegetation phase.
Ways to Prevent Wilting When Growing Clone
You do not really need to worry in case you notice wilting on clones. You just need to check if these are positioned properly on their respective medium. You also need to keep close eyes on the lighting. Your lighting shouldn’t be so bright and this should be properly in line with the levels of light required by the plant. The new clones relatively need gentle light which is 25/45/45 (red-blue-white percentage).
If you’ll diligently follow the criteria above, you can expect to get the best and most successful results. Over time and with extensive experience, you will be able to significantly refine processes and be able to learn more as well.
Growing marijuana through hydroponics results to greatest yields. But, this actually comes with sets of advantages and disadvantages which are highlighted below:
- This is a clean and convenient process since soil is not really needed. All process is cleanly done so there’s no mess.
- Because of the controlled system, pollution is prevented therefore the environment is protected.
- Also, due to monitored and controlled hydroponics system, there will be no root drowning and dry spots.
- This also produces larger amounts of top quality weeds.
- Water cost is reduced with hydroponics system since water remains in the system.
- The nutrients are also controlled under this system so you can save money as well.
- It’s simpler to protect the system from getting attacked or infected by insects.
- Time of growth is quicker and the quantity of yield is said to be greater.
- With the best hydroponic system, you are able to grow your own weeds even in your own bedroom.
- This is a costly way of growing marijuana.
- This completely relies on electricity.
- You will need to monitor the system regularly.
- Even just a minor mistake can destroy the entire thing that you have prepared and done which actually took you ages.
How to Grow Marijuana Hyrdoponically-Your Comprehensive Step by Step Guide
At this point, you will learn how to grow marijuana using the hydroponic system. You need to ensure that you will follow all the steps given below and see to it that you follow the right order:
- The very first thing that you need to do is to basically collect and prepare the materials that you need. These items might include clones or seeds (whichever you prefer), hydroponic nutrients, pots or containers, growing mediums for pots, white paint, LED or HID lighting system, fluorescent, pH detector and timer.
- Prepare all these on your walls to maximize you marijuana production. Growing marijuana indoors means that it’s your responsibility to provide your plant with the right amount of light. You can also consider painting your grow room walls with some semi-gloss white paint for this helps reflect light sources back into the plants.
- You can utilize mylar to uniquely line your wall or to grow within the mylar-lined grow box or grow tent. But one drawback is that this reflects both heat and light ultimately efficient therefore, you need to be extra careful not to burn your weed.
- Setting up the lights is also an important task you need to do. Hang the lights to give your plants enough coverage. Your lights also need to come with specific instructions providing suggested heights for every phase of plant growth to make sure that every plant in your exclusive grow space will get enough light. You need to check the instructions which came with your marijuana plant or seed as some strains actually require more light than the others.
- If you are utilizing High Intensity Discharge or HID grow lights, general rule is 40w/ square foot going up to about 60 to 70w in order to maximize yields.
- Just in case you’re using LED grow lighting system to guarantee excellent coverage, you need to check on the light’s Photo synthetically Active Radiation or PAR’s value. PAR is actually the section of light spectrum which absorbs and also uses photosynthesis. It’s the range from 400 nm to 700 nm. Full-cycle LED light produces the PAR value you need in every phase of your grow. You will not waste electricity producing lights that your plants can’t really use.
- The Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density or PPFD pertains to the major source of amount of usable light falling on plants per square meter per second. This is basically the intensity of light and oftentimes, what individuals mean when they are talking about PAR values or ratings. For good coverage, the higher the rating the better.
- When purchasing LED grow lights and looking for high PAR value, you need to check on the spectrum that these lights produce. This is a common quality of this light. The ideal option is the full-spectrum grow lights.
- The basic rule of thumb in order to ensure that you plants are properly and sufficiently covered by LED grow lights to assume minimum of about 32w per square foot. Nevertheless, you have to remember that these pertain to the number or watts that the light draws at wall sockets and not the stated output.
Humidity, Ventilation, Temperature and Nutrients
When growing marijuana indoors, you need to be mindful about the proper humidity, ventilation and temperature levels as well as the right nutrients needed by your marijuana plants. Also, you need to follow these:
- Be careful not to overheat your plants with lighting. Note that the maximum temperature level that marijuana plants can bear is 90 degrees Farenheit. You can check on some available guide on how to measure and regulate humidity and temperature in your own grow setup.
- Each plant requires good ventilation and this is one of the vital requirements for ideal plant growing environment. So ensure that your area is well-ventilated.
- Just in case you’re not utilizing cloning method, then obviously you will need seeds. These seeds need to properly germinate prior to planting them. It is therefore an advantage if you are armed with knowledge on how to choose the right seeds and germinate them.
- The rockwool block is the next spot for the germinated seed. It’s where initial growth of plants takes place.
- You can now begin feeding your marijuana plant with the right amount of water as well as nutrients in the hydroponic system. A good water pH level at this phase is 5.0-6.0. It’s important not to overfeed your plants with overwhelming amounts of nutrients. Too much nutrients can quickly spoil the plants. Start with just the average amount of nutrients then increase gradually.
- At this point, the plant needs careful monitoring and intense care to guarantee maximum yield in the future. You also need to be mindful of the pH level of both filtered and tap water that you’re growing with. Keep close attention on the lighting and nutrients and as the plants grow, you need to learn that they apparently get closer to light so be attentive in case you’re not getting too much.
Flowering and Vegetation
- Upon seeding, the next imperative state in the plant’s life is flowering and vegetation. You must ensure that the condition of the environment is ideal for these phases in order to maximize yield and ensure yield quality.
- You can make use of height in order to determine growth of your plants in vegetative phase. Your plant might double its height in the flowering phase. Ideally, plants can be left in the vegetative phase until it reaches a height of 6-18”.
- Once your marijuana plant grows up to about 18”, it’s about time to begin the flowering process. Balanced lighting actually plays a vital role in this phase. You must adjust the light schedules in order to deliver light 12 hours per day.
- As the plants start to flower within first two weeks, you will be able to judge the plant’s sex.
Female and Male Plants
- The female plants will be given growing white hairs around branches or nodes and these will then turn to white wispy and shoot-like pistils.
- The male plants on the other hand, grow to small grape-like balls after one week or two. These balls become visible that grow to bunches or pollen sacs. These somehow resemble a banana in terms of color and shape.
- You also need to check for hermaphrodite plants as well. There are instances that a plant develops female pre-flower on one part and male on the other. You therefore need to continue keeping an eye on the plants that you think are female and do not just merely base on one pre-flower.
- Eliminate all male plants now as these will pollinate the females. You also need to remove the hermaphrodite plants which self-pollinate and might pollinate the other plants as well.
- Continue to pay attention on the flowers as stressed female plants can turn out to be elongated and yellow pollen sacs from the center bud. These bananas tend to produce pollen as soon as they emerge. Separate or remove these immediately and if you start to notice lots of nanners, you must start harvesting and cut your possible losses.
- So comes the most demanding phase and that is waiting for the plant to reach the maturity stage. How long does it really take? Well, this actually depends on the strain type that you are growing and your system. As a typical estimate, this generally takes about 6-12 weeks for the cannabis to mature.
- A week prior to harvesting, feed your plant only with water. If you make use of other nutrients during this time, they might affect the taste when you’re smoking your marijuana.
- Make sure to harvest when the raisin on the buds is sticky and clear; some begins to darken into amber or brown.
- For better control over effects and flavor:
As soon as you notice 50-75% of pistils turned red or brown, then you can expect for mellower high and flavor to be lighter.
When 70-90% turns brown, you will get stronger and heavier weed.
When about 90-100%, the taste gets heavy and effects to be more narcotic.
- Other common signs that indicate harvest time include stems that start to broaden and leaves that turn yellow and die back.
- You can closely take a look on the hairs present on the buds or the trichomes. If these trichomes are clear, you need to keep waiting but if these are milky white and some becoming amber, then they are ready. If all are amber, you have waited too long and your weeds may already have strong and maybe active ingredients that begin to deteriorate or unpleasant flavor. You can use magnifying device to properly check on these.
You can judge and you can plan ahead of time. Generally, you can harvest Indica after eight weeks of flowering but for sativa, you can harvest after 12 weeks or 10 for other strains. For auto flowering stains, it takes about a total of ten weeks from seedling up to bud. Take time to always check the possible length of flowering phase of that particular strain you are growing. If you follow these important harvesting information, then you can expect for the best harvest.
Importance of Light to Marijuana Growing
Marijuana needs a lot of light to grow healthy. You cannot expect the crop to grow properly if you are not providing the right type and amount of lighting. Correct lighting is the most important factor when growing marijuana. Whether you’re growing marijuana in a hydroponic system or in soil medium, you need to make sure that the plant receives the right amount of light.
What Lighting Systems Can You Use?
There are a lot of lighting systems available today. Each option has its own benefits and downsides, so you need to be careful when choosing a lighting system for growing marijuana. Some of the most common lighting systems include reflectors, bulbs, timers, ballast and various color spectrum. Regardless of the lighting system you use, your main goal is to grow marijuana faster and get the highest yield.
How Light Affects Marijuana Growth
Remember that different lighting systems have different results as well. You need to determine the temperature and color of the light before picking a lighting system. Consider the CCT or Kelvin rating to know the CRI rating and hue of HID fluorescent lights to determine the color’s intensity. The higher the CRI rating, the brighter and more natural the stated colors will look. If you are using the Kelvin rating, 4200K will be cooler blue, 2700K a warm red and 6500K is closest to the color of sunlight. White is the lowest Kelvin rating. Higher numbers look bluer.
Most growers use 1000W to grow marijuana. Using more than 1000W will be harmful to the plants, but setups that have lower wattage can also work. If you are planning to use LED grow lights, you will find that some models have higher wattage. One of the best things about LED lights is that they are cooler than other lighting systems.
If you want to determine the amount of light produced per square foot by non-LED light sources, you can look at the lumens rating of the bulb or light. Cannabis plants usually need no less than 3000 lumens per sq ft. For maximum productivity, providing 7000-10,000 lumens per sq ft is recommended. Lamps with a broader color spectrum usually outperform grow lamps that provide a higher lumen output. These lighting systems require bright light, but what plants absorb and use for photosynthesis is actually the red and blue colors in the visible light spectrum.
It is also important to note the PAR value of lighting systems. Lumens only measure the light’s intensity to the human eye. PAR is very important to plants that can only use wavelengths in the light spectrum’s 400 to 700nm range. Different types of bulbs can generate a broad spectrum of light that is beneficial for growing marijuana. You can also have various lights for different growing cycle stages.
The simplest option, however, is a high quality LED grow light. It will provide the type of light needed by the plants as it has easier controls and performs better than other options.
Sources of Light for Growing Marijuana
You need an artificial source of light if you are planning to grow marijuana indoors. This means getting a good lighting system if you are serious about growing cannabis plants and getting the best results. LED and fluorescent grow lights are a good option for growing marijuana plants. You can also find CFL or compact fluorescent lights. Unlike HID lights, CFLs are offered almost everywhere. You won’t have a problem getting your CFLs if you’ve chosen this option as the light source.
LED lights have become a popular choice for growing plants indoors. These grow lights are the simplest and best option, especially for those who are just starting. Using LED lights also offers a number of benefits. One of these is that LED lights generate a full spectrum light with a low heat level.
(Read our review of TOP 10 LED Lights For Growing Cannabis)
How to Place Light
The type of lighting system you are using determines the best distance of light from the plants. For instance, heat emitting grow lights must be placed a little higher above the plants. It is best that you check the instructions for correct light usage. If you are using LED grow lights, you have to hang them around 10 to 14″ from the plant since these lights are cooler than other options.
What is the Best Lighting Schedule for the Plant’s Growth Stages?
Marijuana plants need different hours of lighting and schedules during its different stages of growth. Cannabis plants need sixteen to eighteen hours of lighting during the seedling phase. It increases to eighteen to 24 hours every day during the vegetative period. You need to give the plants twelve hours of light and boost the light spectrum’s red part during the flowering phase. Since lighting plays an important role in the growth of marijuana plants, you cannot expect your harvest to be good if you don’t provide your plants with proper lighting
How to Harvest Marijuana
Harvesting marijuana doesn’t need to be difficult. It is actually fun and exciting. After all, it is the reward for your hard work. There are some things that you need to keep in mind to get it right.
When is the Best Time to Harvest Your Marijuana Plants?
Knowing when to harvest your marijuana plant is actually easy. You just need to look at the color of the hair or pistils covering the buds. During the flowering stage, the pistils are white. They become dark brown when they are ready to be harvested. When almost 70% of the pistils have become brown, it is time that you prepare your harvesting tools. After that, it depends on how you want your marijuana plant to taste as well as what effects you’d like to experience. Remember that the browner the pistils, the stronger and more narcotic the plant will be.
The Right Way to Harvest Marijuana Flowers
It is a good idea to start harvesting the marijuana plants early in the morning. Harvesting is not hard, but it can be time consuming. This is particularly true if you have a lot to harvest. Cut the plant completely from the root. Make sure to cut all the marijuana plants that you nurtured in your garden. You can start by cutting the bigger, heavier marijuana plants first to make things easier for you.
After cutting the plants, remove the bigger fan leaves. Hang a wire from the ceiling in a horizontal direction then hang the plants you cut from it. The plants should be upside down. Don’t forget to keep some space between the plants for proper air circulation. You can now dry the plants. The most practical and cheapest way to do this is to leave the plants in open air.
You can also use an automated curing machine and drying cabinet to make things easier. Commercial growers can definitely benefit from an automated curing machine. Some marijuana growers use oscillating fans to boost ventilation when drying the plants. The fans should circulate air around the marijuana plants, but not blow air directly on them. If the plants are moving, it only means that the fans are not placed properly.
The Best Time of Day to Harvest Marijuana Plants
Time of day is very important when you are harvesting marijuana plants. Harvesting in the dark is actually ideal since at night, the female cannabis plants store the food it prepared during the day through photosynthesis. This setup is perfect for outdoor growing. If you are growing marijuana indoors, night time depends on the lighting schedule of the plant. If you scheduled lighting during night hours, you should harvest the plants in the morning. Harvesting is a time consuming job, so you should check how many cannabis plants you have. Estimate how long it is going to take to cut everything. Make sure to spare enough free time to get everything done.
How to Prepare Marijuana for Smoking
Plants die when it doesn’t get any water. Before you do anything to your plants, you should leave the crop for at least seven days in an environment of about 50% percent humidity and 70⁰ Fahrenheit to remove the residual water from the plants. You should also keep the room dark and make sure that no mildew or mold is growing on the buds. If there is, you should get rid of the affected parts right away. Fans can help boost air circulation in the room and prevent mold or mildew growth.
Just keep in mind that the plants will emit a strong, unique aroma of marijuana in the first few days of aeration. Don’t try to rush things. Drying can take up to 2 weeks or even several days longer. On the other hand, drying slowly guarantees heavy, tasty, fragrant buds. Once the plants are completely dry, you can start the curing process to produce flavorful, smoke able marijuana.
When the outside of the buds feels dry when touched and the twigs inside the buds become delicate, you can now start. The buds should break easily. If possible, larger stems must still bend. You can also trim the buds before you start the curing process. Make sure to use a pair of clean sharp scissors to cut the remaining leaves. You can save the leaves for making edibles since they still have trichomes.
Curing and Its Importance
Curing ensures that natural plant processes which guarantee peak quality and potency occur. It provides a smoother and tastier smoke. Curing breaks down chlorophyll to enhance the buds’ smoothness and taste. It also reveals the unique aroma and flavor mix of your selected cannabis strain. The THC in fresh cannabis turns into psychoactive elements during drying and curing. These elements make you high when smoking marijuana.
Buds that are correctly cured are also less likely to cause adverse side effects like paranoia and anxiety. Curing lessens the weed’s “harshness,” so you are less likely to experience headaches or cough. Moreover, curing reduces the risk of bacteria or mold growth and boosts the potency of the weed. If it is your first time to grow and harvest marijuana, you might be excited to finally try the results of your hard work. However, you need to be patient. Good curing is responsible for almost fifty percent of the weed’s quality, so you have to complete the curing process properly.
How to Cure Marijuana
You can store the dried buds in a mason jar. Keep the jars about seventy-five percent full. One quart jars will hold about one ounce of weed. Continue drying buds that don’t feel dry. If the buds you stored in a jar are sticking together when you shake the container, it means that they are still moist. Remove the lid for a while until the buds feel dry when you touch them. You can also buy a hygrometer to make it easier to check the humidity in the jar. This device is particularly beneficial if you want to keep the buds at a relative humidity of about sixty to sixty-five percent.
You should also keep the jars in a cool dark room. Remove the lid for the first one to two weeks and check the buds every twenty-four hours. The buds need air, so you need to do this. If you feel moistness or smell ammonia, you should leave the jars open for two to four hours. It is best to remove the lid completely for twelve to twenty-four hours if the buds feel wet.
There is no need to worry about over drying the buds. While it is best avoided, over-drying enhances the marijuana buds. After several weeks, you can begin removing the lid only once a week. In case the buds are curing properly for several weeks, you just need to remove the lid once a month.
Marijuana buds will continue curing for up to six months. You should keep the buds in airtight containers like mason jars if you are planning to keep it for a long time. Cure the buds for at least three months first and after six months, you can vacuum seal or freeze the buds in a snugly packed mason jar.
How Long Do You Need to Wait Before You Can Smoke Your Weed?
It actually depends on you. You can try some at any stage in the storage or curing process and see what suits you best. Feel free to enjoy your first smoke of the weed you’ve tried to grow and cure!
Perhaps you’ve read a lot of technical books about growing weed indoors and found yourself confused about what you really need to do to successfully grow marijuana at home. The problem with these books is that they are not designed for newbie growers. There’s a lot of jargon to understand that you may just consider giving up. We decided to provide beginners with an accessible guide that is focused on the most useful information about marijuana and how to grow one indoors.
You will find this guide useful in your quest to grow healthy and flavorful marijuana plants. Growing marijuana doesn’t have to be stressful. You can learn the rest as you improve your growing techniques and learn how to solve various problems regarding marijuana growing. We hope that you will use this guide to get started and to enjoy growing cannabis plants indoors.
Good luck and we wish you the best!
Take Your Weed Growing Game to the Next Level
Did you enjoy our beginner’s guide and now you want to take your marijuana growing project into a whole new level? If you think you are ready, you will definitely benefit from investing in a revised and updated 2018 copy of our marijuana growing guide.
It may look expensive at first, but it is definitely a good investment if you are serious about growing marijuana indoors. A comprehensive guide like this could pay for itself quickly by giving you higher yields, fewer expensive mistakes and higher quality weed. You don’t need to go through the time consuming and expensive trial and error process again.
The guide also comes with an audio version, so you can learn anytime you want. You can do everything at your own pace. This guide is the most comprehensive tool that you can use to improve your marijuana growing endeavor! Get this guide today and enjoy growing healthy cannabis plants.